Thursday, October 16, 2008

VANCOUVER: 北の家 Guu - Kitanoya

I didn't get a chance to go to Guu this time in Vancouver, a huge disappointment as Guu is one of my favorite restaurants. The ambiance of the little restaurant brings you to a small local restaurant in a small town in Japan, where everyone gathers on the weekend and everyone knows everyone else. Be sure to get there early if you want a table on the weekend as they don't take any reservations, unless you actually KNOW everyone working there.
I love how when you order, the servers are calling out your dishes to the kitchen, I love how it's immensely busy, I love the fun and ever-welcoming attitude and I love the aroma of grilled Japanese dishes.
Tuna Maguro

The presentation of the dishes is pretty, it's simple, on very japanesey plates and just thrown on artistically.
Pumpkin Croquette with Egg
Japanese Oden (Only avail. in Winter)

Grilled Ika


Chicken Cartilage (Great for snacking with Asahi)

Some of my favorite dishes includes their Spicy Ebi mayo, Pumpkin croquette ball with egg, Tuna maguro, Grilled Black Cod with Miso Mayonnaise and Salmon Yukke.
Spicy Ebi Mayo

Okonomiya

Grilled Black Cod with Miso Mayonnaise (super tender)

Daikon Salad

Yaki Udon

Guu is G'uud!

2 comments:

kït said...

i want pumpkin egg!

Oliver said...

I love this restaurant and from the looks of your post I think it's time for another stop by in the very near future.