Sunday, October 26, 2008

Red Chili Wontons


I've had a lot of traditional Chinese food throughout my lifetime. May it be Cantonese dishes, Szechuan dishes, Beijing dishes, Taiwanese dishes, Shanghainese dishes.. the list is never ending. Of all these dishes, I must say, my favorite is Red Chili Wontons. I can have my own order of Red Chili Wontons(RCW) and never get bored of it. Now ONLY when it's good. And when I mean "good", i don't mean alot of garlic nor alot of excess seasoning. I don't like it with vinegar nor soya sauce.

My recipe:
Ingredients:
100-150 g Small wontons (the smaller, the better)
a bit of dried shrimp
1 stick of green onions
sesame oil, red chili oil,
pepper

1. Boil wontons until they are well done. drain and let them sit for a little while
2. Mix all the other ingredients together (Feel free to add garlic if that's what you fancy)
3. Mix with wontons
4. Garnish with green onions
5. VOILA!

Keep in mind, there are two types of RCW. One is the Taiwanese-style which I love and the other is the Shanghainese style with the soya sauce, vinegar and massive amount of garlic. I have yet to find the perfect Taiwanese-style RCW in Hk. Let me know if you know of any please!

No comments: