Monday, December 1, 2008

HONG KONG: Petits Cupcake

UPDATE: This cupcake joint is GONE! No more addition to my weight! (that's me looking on the positive side of things, whimper*)

Petits Cupcakes are definitely not petite at all. Available at Elements Shopping Mall, this cupcake store is always busy. Though I must admit, their cupcakes could be better tasting, but presentation-wise, they win hands-down. They have the prettiest cupcakes, a big variety too, including flavours like Valrhona Orange, Smores, Sea Salt Chestnut Cream, Lemon Meringue, Mint Chocolate Chip, Baileys, Eggy, etc. $23hkd a pop. (Approx $3.50usd)

Lemon Meringue: The top part was a foam-like cream, with a lemon-ey filling. The lemon filling was far too sweet, the foam was fluffy, but the cupcake itself was too dry. The cupcakes, as you can see are works of art. They are all intricately made, however, they don't taste great. The cupcakes are on the dry side, and some are too sweet. I understand that cupcakes are desserts and they are supposed to be sweet, but for certain flavours, such as their Dark Truffle Cupcake, I would expect at least a little bitterness. Some of the cupcakes have a cream filling, unusual for a cupcake. The Sea Salt Chestnut Cream cupcake has chestnut paste filling, I enjoyed this one very much.Mint Chocolate Chip: I always like Mint Chocolate Chip, the chocolate chips on top were crunchy, very delicious chocolate chips, but the icing on top was not good at all. The icing was far too sweet, made me tooth numb and I couldn't even finish it. The chocolate cupcake didn't go well with the icing because they were both equally as sweet. Smores Cupcake: The marshmallow on top was too hard and the marshmallow as a filling was too heavy. I think I'd go somewhere else for cupcakes next time.

The Cake shop itself was a lovely experience. Decorated with a huge colorful Cupcake in the window display yet elegant once you step inside the store. Filled with hundreds of cupcakes, a little bit like a kid walking into a gigantic toy store.

2 comments:

doby said...

my mom will go nuts over these cupcakes.

the poor vancouver shops stands no chance!

Janice said...

Want me to ship some over? hehe.. but wait, your mom is in Singapore. tell her to come to hk, I'll bring her!