Tuesday, November 18, 2008

KOBE: Denmark Cheesecake [Kannonya チーズケーキ]



Just to clarify, these are not original Danish Cheesecakes... these are "Denmark Cheesecakes" in Kobe, Japan. They're called Denmark Cheesecakes because they use cheese from Denmark to make this cake.

Only available at a cafe called Kannonya in Kobe, specializing in Cheese. These Denmark Cheesecakes are different from anything I have tried before. It's not the typical heavy cream cheese-cheesecake. Simply put it, it's a piece of soft sponge cake with imported Denmark cheese on top melted to perfection. Served warm, the sides of the sponge cake is a little bit crispy yet extremely spongey on the inside, warm cheese on top.



I was caught by surprise when I first bit into the cheesecake, I wasn't expecting it to be real cheese. The cheese comes off stringy as expected in melted cheese, but never expected from a cheesecake!



We tried the chocolate brownies which proved this cafe to deserve the reputation they have established. Rich in chocolate yet at the same time was not overly sweet.



Being the foodaholic that I am, of course I wouldn't let anyone leave the restaurant without trying the Warm Dark Chocolate cake. Very similar to the chocolate brownie but even richer, texture was pretty much the same as the chocolate brownie minus the walnuts. I like how they cut it into three rectangles, easy to share, cut and bite-sized, exactly my preferences.


This cafe is situated in a touristy area/mall called Mosaic, overlooking the beautiful harbour of Kobe facing the Observatory tower and Meriken Park hotel, this cafe gets a 10/10 from me.



No comments: