Tuesday, November 25, 2008

HONG KONG: Pierside @ The Royal Pacific Hotel

The Royal Pacific Hotel and Towers, situated along the Victoria Harbour on the busy Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui, right above the Macau/China ferry terminals. Pierside, a restaurant/bar has taken a new turn recently. Being opened for almost a year, the original bar-to-be is turning into quite a restaurant. Pierside started out as an upscale bar with a live band every night, serving light dinners and finger food, they have now decided that their customer mix would much prefer an upper scale dining facility instead of just a bar.
Pierside, being one of the few 2-storey dining facilities in this area has reserved the lower level for alfresco dining in the daytime and a bar in the evening, while the upper floor has now turned into a contemporary restaurant overlooking the Victoria Harbour.
Jackie, their executive chef's specialty is fusion. And when I say fusion, trust me, it's very fusion. He has worked in many world class restaurants/hotels around the world. After achieving his culinary qualifications in New Zealand, he's worked in a few other places, such as Tokyo and Taiwan. Now you may have heard, food in Japan and Taiwan are just... Mmmm.. mouth-watering.
Having a creative chef in a fine dining environment is never a bad thing. Lately, he's been playing with a Wagyu beef set dinner which I haven't had the chance to try. According to friends that have tried it, they've loved it.
The set I've tried when I had dinner there was a full seafood menu. Starting off with humongous oysters from Australia... Sorry, I forgot the name.. The oysters were fresh, big and very creamy. I'm usually a fan of small Kumamoto oysters as they usually taste a little fresher, however, this one that the chef chose for us was fresh enough and not very salty.
I tried the snapper with balsamic dressing and garlic mash. The snapper had a flaky texture as it should, the balsamic was sweet and thick (just the way I like it), and the garlic mash was SMOOTH.

Oh yes, how could I forget to mention the bread!!? The rolls were warm, not as soft as I would like them to be but not bad, what I liked was their selection of condiments for the rolls, came with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar, butter, sea salt, and a special paste they made. It tasted like hummus with something added to it. I wasn't able to make out what the specific ingredients were but it was good.
Finally.. the dessert. This is a dessert I will never forget. The bite, the taste, the texture, the creaminess. We were served a special Tiramisu cake. Tiramisu's have always been one of my favorite desserts so I have certain standards, I am usually a fan of the traditional Italian Tiramisu's. This one I tried has just changed my mind forever. The tiramisu was frozen. The whole Tiramisu cake was placed in the freezer and flambeed when served. I love flambeed desserts, it adds such involvement to the whole dining experience. The wine sauce that was poured on top of the dessert had grapes drenched in wine, added a nice adult-ty taste to the sweet confection. It tasted like ice cream with a kick, it was like biting into ice cream with sponge cake, Mascarpone, coffee, chocolate and wine all at the same time. (This can never be a bad thing)

No comments: