Tuesday, November 25, 2008

OSAKA: Za Don

UPDATE: Sadly, I think this restaurant must have closed down, I tried visiting this summer and it was gone!! It's either that or I've totally lost my way trying to find it. :(

In case I haven't mentioned before, I go absolutely schizo for Japanese food. Having lived and travelled there, every single meal had a story in itself (which I may/may not share later). I try to go to different restaurants as the selection is just massive, this one here called Za Don, I've actually returned to TWICE! Located in Umeda behind the infamous HEP5 shopping mall, a tiny tiny restaurant that just occupies a corner of the building. It's about a 400 square feet restaurant, to be more precise, like a fast food restaurant where you buy your tickets at a vending machine then giving your ticket to the kitchen and from there, they prepare your food.

What I love about Japan is how everywhere you go, regardless of price, it's always spotless. This restaurant was not an exception, immaculate, each seat had their own supply of preserved ginger, Soya sauce and Wasabi.

Now the surprise came when the food arrived. Now bear in mind that these rice bowls costed less than $10USD. We ordered a Negitoro Don and a Amaebi/Salmon Roe and Uni Don. (Don means rice bowl in Japanese btw)

Look at the portions:


Extremely fresh and delicious.

No comments: